2 things brought about this post:
- The increased popularity of Away3D with the announcement of “Molehill” at AdobeMax 2010.
- The scarcity and disarray of some of Away3D’s greatest resources for learning and inspiration.
To fix this I am going to create a collection here of the best available blogs, links, tutorials, demos, and videos from the Away3D community. With a little help from you, the visitors to this blog, of course. So PLEASE, if I miss a team member or a good blog, leave a comment and I’ll add it to the list. OK, here we go.
The twitter list
Let me know if you want to be added.
- Away3D.com - The official Away3D Flash Engine site
- Away3D tutorials - A list of useful, though slightly dated, tutorials for the engine
- Away3D Developers Google Group - A growing community where Away3D developers and newbies can interact and ask questions, often addressed by the core team members themselves.
- Rob Bateman - Away3D founder, lead developer, and co-author of “The Essential Guide to 3D in Flash”
- Fabrice Closier - Away3D developer and creator of Prefab, the Away3D modeler and workflow enhancer.
- Peter Kapelyan - Away3D developer
- Greg Caldwell - Away3D documentation, and the inspiration for my reflection in Away3D demo.
- Jalava - Away3D bitmap rendering
- Katopz - Away3D developer and Collada animation
- Li - Away3D developer and vector text/shapes
- Richard Olsson - Away3D developer and co-author of “The Essential Guide to 3D in Flash”
- David Lenaert - Flash 10 shaders and Pixelbender
The blogs, devs, and links
- Tony Lukasavage (me) - A blog full of Away3D demos, code, and overall goodness.
- Flash Tutorials (Away3D) - A great collection of Away3D tutorials to help you get started.
- Ralph Hauwert - Flash 3D wizard with some good Away3D content.
- Einar Öberg - Great Flash developer with some awesome Away3D projects.
- Bartek Drozdz - Now mostly a Unity3D blog, it still contains some real Away3D gems.
- Darcey Lloyd - This site has mountains of great Away3d demos and instructional content.
- Matthew Casperson - Tons of detailed demos and how-to’s for Away3D
- Harry Northover - A bit dated, but still has some good, basic Away3D examples.
- Advanced Mediocrity - A handful of cool Away3D examples
- Jason Begot - A couple of great Away3D samples, and he was the inspiration for my mesh morphing demo.
- Exey Panteleev - Flash 3D developer with some Away3D demos, and he inspired my dynamic height demo.
- blog.tartiflop - Pretty old Away3D stuff, but it still contains some very useful content for understanding the engine.
- flash-3d.net - A growing collection of Away3D tutorials and examples ported from Papervision3D.
- John Wilson - Nice collection of Away3D demos and samples.
- McFunkyPants - Indie game developer content with some great Flash 3D material (Including insight on Molehill).
- “The Essential Guide to 3D in Flash” - written by Rob Bateman and Richard Olsson
- “Away3D 3.6 Essentials” - written by Matthew Casperon
- “La 3D en Flash avec Away3D” - written by Sylvain Godbert
The games, videos, and extras
- BattleCell - The incredible Away3D, multi-player, first person shooter. Grab a friend and blow sh!t up!
- “Molehill” demo videos - Get a preview at the amazing advances coming to Flash 3D
- Away3D Shoot ‘Em Up with sound - A lengthy tutorial on game building and sound for Away3D.
- Gesture Works - Shows how to add multi-touch support to your Away3D applications
- Away3D Mobile - See Away3DLite running on mobile devices
This list is far from exhaustive and I would love it if my readers would contribute. Let me hear what your other Away3D resources are. I’m all ears.